Sunday, June 20, 2010

Interview with Maddy Barkley of Jewelrybyjane19

Interview with Maddy Barkley of JewelybyJane19
Business Name: Jewelry by Jane 29
Real Name: Maddy Barkley
Blog Page:http://www.jewelrybyjane29.blogspot.com
Web Page: http:www.jewelrybyjane29.com
Tell us a bit more about yourself? I am a self taught jewelry designer. I love all forms of design. At the present time I am caring for my elderly mother and designing jewelry, and selling it on line, and also at craft shows when I can.

How did it come to be that you started working with seed beads? I had a booth at a local craft show, and of coarse all of the venders check out each others wares. There was a vendor there that did beadweaving. I fell in love with her work, she told me she normally doesn’t sell in my local area and was just passing through and that she didn’t mind giving me pointers to get me started. From there I hit the web to learn other stitches. I was hooked from then on.

How long have you been creating with seed beads? It has been three years
Is there was any significance to the name of your shop? Yes, I named it that because when I was a little girl, my Aunt Mildred said my name Madeline was to long for me so she started calling me by my middle name Jane, thus all of my family has called me Jane since.
What inspires you? I get inspired many ways. Sometime its natures colors, sometimes its when I see a certain bead I want to work with, sometimes its just a whim, from my minds eye.

Do you listen to music or TV while you work? Sometimes I listen to rock music, but mostly not. It really depends on how I’m feeling at that moment. Usually when I work I like solatude, I do some of my best thinking when I am working. That is usually when I come up with my next project. I always have a pencil and paper close by to write down my ideas.
Do you have common colors you work with? Not really I try to be creative and use different colors.

What is your favorite color palette? All greens

Do you have a favorite technique? Which one and why? No not reallyI love learning new stitches. I try to learn something new every month.

Do you do shows or vending of any sort? Where? Do you teach beading classes? Where? I do local New Hampshire Craft Shows. At the present time the only teaching I do is to my 12 year old niece. She loves beading also.

Do you sell your work in any galleries/shops? Where? Not at the present

Where do you see yourself in your business in 5 years! The Five year plan is that my husband and I will be west to warmer climate and open up a shop/ gallery. We both will be working out of that shop.

2 comments:

  1. It is always nice to meet a fellow member and learn a bit more about what makes them tick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete