Saturday, August 30, 2008

Etsy Beadweavers Help Fight Breast Cancer!

Twenty five members of the Etsy Beadweavers Street Team (EBW) have joined forces to help fight breast cancer and create beaded squares to be included in Jeanette Shanigan’s 2009 Beaded Quilt.

Jeanette sews the squares together to form the quilts and then frames them in shadow boxes. Finished quilts are auctioned at the Bead & Button Show in Milwaukee, WI, and the proceeds are donated to the Medical College of Wisconsin Breast Cancer Research Foundation. 100 percent of the donations go directly to research.

This year’s theme is “Bead artists have the heart to take on breast cancer” and all squares will include a heart motif. Past year’s themes have included roses in 2008 and butterflies in 2007. Almost $10,000 has been raised for breast cancer research from the sale of the quilts.

EBW members have set an October deadline for themselves in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Check back for updates from the project and to see photos of the glorious squares being created!

Article submitted by Susan Clinkscales of Clinkscales Arts

14 comments:

  1. I am proud to be a part of this wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got two squares finished. Just need to find the Pellon or Stiff Stuff backing to attach 'em to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post Susan. I'm bummed I won't be able to participate in this. It's such a great Foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see everyone's squares!! I hope we can make enough to get an all-EBW quilt. It will be amazing! Thanks to everyone that has agreed to participate.

    Any EBW member can join - there is still plenty of time. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful. I'm a quilter and hadn't seen these beaded quilts. Thanks for bringing it to my attention and what a wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will do it, but I won't be able to have an October deadline. Good luck to all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Photos of my two squares are up on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got one finished over the weekend and am going to try & get a few more done. Really excited about this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to being a part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great cause, I can't wait to see the final products!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work beaders! I would join you but as I'm in Australia I thought I would concentrate on Australian charities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy that I'll be participating. This will be such a fun way to make a contribution towards defeating this disease.

    ReplyDelete